Summer Home Maintenance Tips
Summer is the time of year to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather in your yard, on your deck, and around your neighbourhood! We have a short list for you during this time of year not only because there are less tasks to attend to, but also because we know you would much prefer to be outside enjoying your home and community, and not messing around with eaves troughs!
General Interior and Exterior Maintenance
- Check for any settlement around the foundation and correct by backfilling if necessary.
- Check the insulation in your attic – you are looking for any settlement, gaps, or signs of animal activity!
- Clean exhaust vents and your range hood filter.
- Clean your HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator) filter.
- Seal driveways and garage floors – this must be done in the first summer after you take possession
- Check silicone sealants in tubs, showers, and around sinks, and repair as needed.
- Check your garage door and garage door opener.
We work closely with our contractor this time of year to make sure all of homeowners who took possession over the fall and winter get their rough grade completed as soon as possible.
If your rough grade is complete, and you haven’t yet completed your final grade and landscaping, now is the perfect time to do so! For specific information about landscaping requirements for your community, and what you are responsible for, check out the following resources:
- Your Homeowner’s Association Website
- Your Neighbourhood Website
- Documents in your Welcome Binder and “Welcome Home” package
- Contact us! We are always ready to help you find the easiest way to complete your landscaping and start enjoying your new space.
Safety First! Please take all necessary safety precautions when doing any work or inspections on your roof. And if you ever come across a maintenance requirement that you are not comfortable completing on your own you have a few courses of action to take:
- Contact the manufacturer or supplier of the product and ask if they can perform the maintenance for you.
- Contact Kimberley Homes and we can recommend a company to assist you!
For a complete list of all the recommended – and required – homeowner maintenance please review The Alberta New Home Warranty Program’s “Guide to the Care and Maintenance of Your New Home” online at ANHWP.com.